terça-feira, 6 de julho de 2021


 

  

MY MOTHER – Translated July 6, 2021

 

‘Who is the homeland?’ – asked a Sergeant,

a fierce disciplinary, a strong brute,

picking from the ranks a recruit,

‘Private Albert, answer me this moment!’

 

‘The homeland is my country!’ in fast intent

he replied to the NCO, with a wary look;

this glared at him, shouting in refute,

‘The homeland is your Mother, understand?’

 

‘The homeland is my Mother!’ agrees the soldier,

The Sergeant turned to the next one, a little man:

‘Private Lucas!  I know your mind’s a little bent...’

 

‘Did you get it?  Answer me now, be bolder!

Who is the homeland? Don’t be afraid again!...’

‘The homeland is Albert’s Mother, my Sergeant!...’


Illustrated by a still of Jeanne Moreau,

the French movie actress. 


The translation had to be somewhat adapted,

but my Portuguese original goes below,

 

GENITORA I – 02 JUN 09

 

"Quem é a pátria?"  indagou um sargento,

feroz na disciplina, à força bruta,

escolhendo das fileiras a um recruta:

"Soldado Alberto, responda num momento!"

 

"A pátria é meu país, sargento!" como o vento,

respondeu ao superior, que mal escuta,

com uma feia carranca, lhe refuta:

"A pátria é a sua mãe!   Ouviu, nojento?"

 

"A pátria é minha mãe, senhor!" disse o soldado.

Mas o sargento virou-se para o lado:

"Soldado Lucas!  Você, que é meio lento!

 

Entendeu bem?  Responda, sem demora!

Quém é a pátria?"  E ouviu, na mesma hora:

"A pátria é a mãe do Alberto, meu sargento!..."

 

 

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário