domingo, 27 de junho de 2021


 

 

STOICISM – Translated June 26, ‘21

 

Never try and beg when love silences,

all that you’ll get is an ironic reaction

when you wish a heart in such a fashion

to open for you in the gentlest licenses.

 

Because life never for you only dispenses,

violaceous and smiling a kindly passion;

affected it is by diarrhea and indigestion,

thus easily to foreclose all loving senses.

 

Life and love require full acceptation

of moral distemper in the one you love

of physical disease to thus mar her soul

 

and all allergies in every human relation

histamines make grow when they rave

against romanticism or any loving role.

 

Illustrated by Katharine Hepburn, the old-time

Hollywood actress.  Do you remember her?

Below my usual initial version

written in Portuguese,

 

ESTOICISMO

 

Nunca supliques, quando amor se cala:

pois mais irônica será a reação,

ao desejares tão só que o coração

se abra para ti, em gentil fala.

 

Porque a vida não existe só na escala

violácea e risonha da paixão:

existem diarreia e indigestão,

que empanam facilmente qualquer gala.

 

A vida, tal que o amor, é aceitação

das doenças morais de quem se ama,

dos resfriados em que espirra a alma,

 

das alergias, que em toda a relação,

provocam histaminas nessa dama,

sem permitir romantismo ou mesmo calma.

 

VIELLEICHT (perhaps) – June 27, 2021

 

All that I now wish for is someone

on whom I could lean and always trust,

who’d guess my wishes as well disgust,

who’d never trade me for anyone.

 

I reached the age when I’d care for one

whose soul would guide me and always lust

for the squalls in my heart to try and bust,

to bear only with me and never doubt or run.

 

This one like I never had.  I always gave

everything I could with others partake,

keeping for myself only the satisfaction

 

of sharing with them all that I could save,

always keeping the hope someone would take

all that she might to afford me equal attention.

 

My original in Portuguese,

 

VIELLEICHT (Talvez)

 

O que eu desejo agora é ter alguém

em quem me possa apoiar, em quem confie,

que saiba o que desejo e que me fie

não me irá preterir por qualquer bem.

 

Cheguei à idade de desejar também

encontrar uma alma que me guie,

que as tempestades do coração estie

e que me ampare sem dúvida ou porém.

 

Foi o que nunca tive.   Sempre dei

o quanto pude aos outros partilhar

e só me reservei satisfação

 

em ter servido a quem mais ajudei,

sem ter perdido a esperança de encontrar

quem me conceda idêntica atenção.

 

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário